Roof Repair Vs. Roof Replacement
If you are here, odds are that your roof is not in good shape and you are wondering what a roof repair is versus a roof replacement. We are going to talk about the benefits of both and which is better for you. Keep reading to learn about roof repairs versus roof replacements.
Roof Repair Versus Roof Replacement
When you have roof damage, you are going to have to determine how to repair your roof. There are two ways that you can repair your roof. One way is to repair it. The other way is to replace it. We are going to talk about which option is best for you now.
- Roof Repair
- When there are minor issues, you will not need a roof replacement. A roof repair could include minor leaks, single shingles, or other small affordable repairs.
- Keep in mind that if you can, repair your roof. You do not want to replace your roof if you can simply fix it. The best option for repairs is coating or patching.
- If your roof is less than five years old, you should ignore a roof replacement.
- Roof Replacement
- If there is significant damage done to the roof, you will need to replace it. There are simply too many damaged areas that cannot be fixed with a quick patch.
- This also is likely to be done when repair work has already been done several times.
- If an issue has been repaired several times and still you have issues with it.
Things to Think About Before Picking Repair or Replacement
When you are in a situation where your roof is problematic, you will want to think about a few things before you make your final decision about replacing or fixing it. We are going to talk about a few things you should consider when determining if you are going to fix the problem or replace your roof.
- The Age of Your Roof
- This is going to be the biggest factor when determining if it is worth fixing. If the roof is less than five years old, you should consider fixing it. If the roof is older than five years, you may want to consider a replacement.
- The age of your roof will not be the same. Each roof has different materials and will determine how long they will last. For example, an asphalt roof will last anywhere from ten to twelve years. If you are using metal roofing, it can last thirty to sixty years!
- Keep in mind that if you need to keep repairing a certain area, it is going to cost you more than replacing the roof in the long run.
- The Damage
- You want to scope out the damage as much as you can. If the roof was compromised before the storm, it is now in danger. Storms will create many issues for a roof. Often, if a roof has been repaired from storm damage before, and any problems arise, you will get a roof replacement.
- It may be best to hire an inspector from a trusted roofing company to determine the damages. He or she can assess how much damage and which route is best for you.
- Keep in mind that damage does not always appear as damage. You can notice mold and algae growth. This is a compromised roof. Any holes, rust, cracks, worn materials, or growth will indicate that your roof has been compromised.
- Roofing material prices vary from place to place. However, you need to know that other elements are considered in your bill.
- Take into account what your budget is and know what you can afford. Talk to professionals to determine what route is best for your wallet.
What To Do If Your Budget is Tight
As you know, roofing repairs and replacements are not cheap. While repairs are going to be cheaper, they may not fix the problem. Here are a few things that you can try at home to protect your roof.
- Properly do small fixes.
- Use a roof sealant on leaking spots.
- Add a roof guard or roof paint.
- Repair small areas of damage.
- Repair minor damages as they occur.
Why Repairing/Replacing Your Roof Is Essential
There are many reasons why you should keep your roof in good health and enlist the services of roofing contractors. The first reason is that it is going to keep your home stable and structurally sound. If the roof is causing leaks, it can damage many parts of your home. A small leak in the roof can even cause electrical worries, ruined paint, ruined furniture, and much more.
Keep in mind that if you are experiencing a leaking roof, you should see a professional as soon as possible. You can try to temporarily fix the problem until a professional can come to see your roof.
Is There a Roofing Season?
Not many people are aware that there is a roofing season. Most people assume that they can get their roof done whenever it is needed. While that is true, ideally, you would want to have your roof done in the later parts of spring. However, you will not want to have the roofing company to be on your roof after the fall.
The roofing company can still install a new roof in light snow. However, this is going to become more dangerous. With that said, you are going to experience lower rates during the off-season. You will also have lower prices and labor costs.
Roof Repair Vs. Roof Replacement
Taking the time to know how important your roof is, is essential. You need to know that your roof is going to keep you dry but also protect the rest of your home from danger.
It is important that you know the difference between a roof repair and a roof replacement. You only want to get one or the other done. Plus, you want to ensure that you are doing what is best for your roof and your wallet. Now that you know what a roof repair and a roof replacement are, you can contact R Stevens Commercial Roofing!